A Mill stood on the site for over 1000 years and is listed
in the Domesday Book of 1086. The existing wooden building dates back to 1819
with substantial repairs carried out in 1860 and further brick built extensions
in 1890. For centuries it functioned as a water Mill, with grain being
transported from Maldon along the rivers Blackwater and Chelmer. During the
middle of the nineteenth century the Mill was converted to a steam operation.
The waterways continued to be used, with coal for the engines being brought to
the Mill by horse drawn barges.
Messrs W H Marriage & Son, a local